Diagnosis and Management of Tobacco DependencyPosted on: 18 Oct 2019
This module has been adapted from the Primary Care Respiratory Society Pragmatic Guide to the Diagnosis and Management of Tobacco Dependency. It has been reviewed by Dr Noel Baxter (PCRS Policy Lead) and Darush Attar-Zadeh (International Smoking Cessation Trainer and Lead).
This module will provide working examples of how to diagnose and manage tobacco dependency in primary care, including instigating a quit attempt, supporting a quit attempt and exploring the treatment options available.
- Explain that ‘very brief advice’ (VBA) is:
- Establishing the smoking status of a person
- Providing advice about the best way to quit or cut down for them
- Acting upon the information provided through an agreed personalised plan
- Choose a personalised therapy plan for different patient types
- Recall treatment strategies available, their relative effectiveness and recommendations for use
To access these modules, you will need to register for a free account. After registering, you'll be able to:
- Complete the module and access your certificate
- Save your progress in a module and come back later, if you don't want to complete it in one sitting
- Revisit your completed modules anytime to refresh your memory and reflect on what you have learned